The first Presidential Debate for 2020 US Presidential Election took place on Sep. 29th.
What is the most important issue to you personally in the upcoming election?
Using our open-ened survey system, we have conducted a poll from Sep. 30th to Oct. 2nd. We recruited 881 respondents through Amazon Mechanical Turk 1.
In this poll, we identified three statistically distinct respondents groups 2. Each row in the above table represents an opinion group and each column represents a respondent group. The value in a cell is the fraction (in percentage) of “Likes,” which is normalized within each column. You can find the list of actual opinion texts at the bottom of this post.
The fractions of Economy and Healthcare are high in every respondent group. We found several other topics and categorized them as the opinion groups 3; many of them are related to recent unprecedented events such as COVID-19, wildfire, Black lives matter issues, and death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. The three respondent groups have different response patterns for these topics.
It is evident that respondent group B is characterized by Support Biden, Never Trump. In contrast, we can hardly conclude that groups A and C are Trump supporters. The fact that the fractions of Support Trump are 5.2% and 2.3% in these groups indicates that this is not their major issue; note that this result does not implies that there are not so many Trump supporters or Joe Biden is in the lead. The population of each respondent group is shown below.
Population of the respondent groups
The acutal opinion texts of each category are listed below. Among 144 independent opinions 4, we only show few of them that earned many “Likes.”
- Love and unity
- Be kind.
- Kindness, compassion, and decency. I'd like for there to be more important things to the administration than their own power and income.
- Taking action on climate change
- Pass laws that address climate change by reducing the use of fossil fuels and encouraging the use of alternative energy sources
- Climate Change
- eliminating world wide corruption
- Basic human decency.
- No new wars, reigning in the riots, removing anti-white and anti-American propaganda from schools ending all COVID lockdowns/stay at home orders, stopping Democrat politicians from imposing open-ended unconstitutional limitations on American citizens.
- Review and rewrite outdated laws and their process.
- We have had Democratic presidents and Republican presidents. The country always survives no matter who is in power.
- COVID-19 GOING TO DO THE ALL EFFECTS IN ELECTION. WE NEED TO WAIT AND SEE IT
- The COIVD virus. Slowing the spread and saving lives. And the economy
- How covid 19 influences job market.
- Having a functional adult in office
- Biden earned a reputation for being a "drug warrior", leading efforts in the war on drugs
- Who else believes that Donald tRump is a narcissist?
- Getting sanity and professionalism back into the White House and leading our country once again
- I support Biden for president.
- I want to see healthcare become more affordable and that is available to everyone. No person should go bankrupt because of healthcare bills.
- Universal Healthcare
- Medicare for all
- Universal Basic Income so people can breathe and stop living paycheck to paycheck in fear that if 1 little thing happens you lose it all
- Economy and jobs
- Protect the working middle class
- Student debt crisis.
- Stopping police murders and brutality toward Black people
- Stopping environmental racism
- Electing people who will respect our constitution and the values that REALLY make our nation great, instead of the bigotry and hatred espoused by white supremacists.
- I think race issues are the biggest problem right now. It's become ridiculous all these people protesting, rioting, etc over two people who were involved in criminal activity.
- Taking a step back and seeing the destruction of mankind in its self by the very ones who think they are upholding good values for the nation
- Bringing people into office who prioritize what is best for the nation as a whole, instead of just an elite few.
- I believe that the president should be able to lead the nation out of hardship.
- Safety for myself and family.
- right wing violence
- Violence in America
- I want to see our country continue in the right direction and love on the people inside it’s borders
- Trump 2020
- I support Trump for president.
- Keeping and expanding on the rights for LGBT+ people, please do not take away my right to marry.
- Rights and protections for LGBT+ individuals, stopping the epidemic of violence against trans people
- Women's rights and their right to choose, keep abortion safe and legal.
- Overturning Roe v. Wade
- Women's reproductive rights (easier and more affordable access to feminine hygiene products, revised abortion laws, etc.)
- Saving our democracy.
- Protect, preserve and expand where needed any and all issues which would threaten DEMOCRACY and each and every citizen's rights within said Democracy.
- Abolishing ICE and ensuring safe asylum for refugees and others
- 10 year moratorium on legal immigration
- illegal immigration
- Respecting Law and Order, denouncing ANTIFA
- Stopping America's descent into fascism
- 2nd amendment
- 2nd amendment AND 1ST ADMENDMENT!!!!
- Defending the right to keep and bear arms.
Disclaimer: The results here may not be accurate. Moreover, it is possible that the results presented here may be update in the future. ↩
There is no initially prepared opinions in this poll. ↩
We put annotations on most of the opinions, and utilized them in graph clustering. ↩
We have excluded invalid opinions. ↩